Mobile Food Establishments

food truck

We Inspect and License All Dane County Mobile Food Establishments

All Dane County mobile food establishments must be licensed and inspected each year. We do this to make sure they meet all requirements of Wisconsin law related to general public health.

Want to know how your favorite food cart handles safety? You can read our inspection reports. These reports tell you the conditions we saw at the time of inspection. Reports may not reflect corrective actions the establishment made, or the current condition.

Look up health inspection reports

Thinking of Opening a Mobile Food Establishment?

Mobile food establishments are like restaurants on wheels. Many of the same code requirements for restaurants apply to them, including licensing. It’s important to take the time to fully research your new business before applying for a license.

Please review the following information prior to purchasing a mobile food unit and applying for the mobile food cart and base licenses.

New operators are encouraged to review the following materials before purchasing and/or building a mobile food unit:

How to Get Your Mobile Food Establishment License

  1. Complete the Licensing Application. 
    • For questions, to get help completing this application in another language, or to contact a sanitarian, call Environmental Heath at (608) 242-6515 or email us.
  2. Send your application and payment to the City Clerk's Office. The address is on the application.
  3. Send your Operation Plan and mobile food cart and base plans for our approval.
    • Mail them to: Environmental Health Division, 2300 S. Park St. Suite 2010, Madison, WI, 53713
    • Or email them to:
  4. Schedule a pre-inspection with us:
  5. After your application and fee are processed and your pre-inspection is complete, you will get your license.
  6. If you have questions, call us at 608-242-6515 or email

We want to better serve you! Fill out our 2-minute anonymous feedback survey about your health inspection.

More information can be found in the Wisconsin Food Code.

Mobile Ice Cream Vending Requirement

English / Español

Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) Mobile Licenses

DATCP State Mobile licensed (Restaurant or Retail) vendors are now exempt from additional Public Health licensing. A DATCP license is intended for those who will be operating and selling food or beverages in multiple cities and counties in Wisconsin.

Make sure to always have the current DATCP license with you during food service. If you can’t show your DATCP license, you may be required to buy a food license from us.

Please note: Even with a DATCP license, you may be subject to an inspection and a $25 inspection fee from us.

If you will only be operating in Dane County, you are required to get the annual mobile license through us.

City of Madison Street Vending Information

Was this page helpful to you?