Non-Storm Water Discharge Licenses

Lake in Madison with buildings in background

To prevent pollution, we track non-storm water (wastewater) going into Madison storm sewers, lakes, and streams. We do this work under Ordinance 7.47. of the Madison General Ordinances.

You need a permit to discharge any non-storm wastewater.

Wastewater includes:

  • Noncontact cooling water
  • Process wastewater
  • Swimming pool backflush and draining
  • Any combination of these

You should fill out a permit application if you:

  • Are a new discharger and don’t have a permit
  • Have a permit, but need to make changes to your application

Getting a Discharge Permit

  1. Fill out an application

    Describe the location, source, and description of wastewater discharge. Use the best available information to fill out the application.

  2. Send your application to us

    Send your application with a $75 initial application fee. This initial application fee is a non-refundable fee paid once for each permit and covers application, handling, and inspections. Make the check out to City Treasurer and mail it with the application to:

    Public Health Madison & Dane County
    Attn: Environmental Protection Unit
    210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Room 507
    Madison, WI 53703

  3. Once your application is approved

    When your application is approved by us and the City of Madison Engineering Division, you will get further instructions.

    If you have any questions, call (608) 243-0360.

    Annual Discharge Permit Fee

    You will need to pay this fee once a year. It covers the cost of monitoring the wastewater quality. It is based on the annual volume of wastewater discharge. The permit year begins July 1st.

Was this page helpful to you?