hotel roomHotels are places where five or more sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to visitors.​​​

All Dane County Hotels must be licensed through Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) and inspected annually to verify the operation meets all requirements of Wisconsin law related to general public health.

You can read inspection reports for hotels. These reports give you information on the conditions we saw at the time of inspection. Reports may not reflect corrective actions the establishment made, or the current condition.


How to Get Licensed

  1. Zoning and Taxes

    Zoning: Find out if there are zoning conditions that must be met.

    • City of Madison: Contact City of Madison Zoning: (608) 266-4551. If required, obtain a Conditional Use approval from the City of Madison.
    • Dane County (outside the City of Madison): Contact your municipal or township clerk. Townships and municipalities have varying policies.

    Sellers Permit: Obtain a Wisconsin Seller’s Permit.

    Room Tax: Register with your local clerk if your municipality collects room taxes.

    • City of Madison: Fill out the Room Tax Registration form. Learn when Room Tax Exemptions apply to guests.
    • Dane County: (outside the City of Madison): Contact your municipal or township clerk to find out whether your municipality collects room tax and obtain a Room Tax Certificate if required.
  2. Apply for a license

    Submit a PHMDC lodging license application with proper payment. See the License Fee Schedule and complete the License Application.

  3. Schedule an inspection

    Contact us at (608) 242-6515 or email to schedule a pre-inspection of your property. License approval must be completed prior to renting out sleeping accommodations.