Retail Food Establishment Licensing
If You Are Opening a Food Establishment
- Applying for a license
- The plan review and pre-inspection process
- Structural and operational requirements from the Wisconsin Food Code
You must pay a licensing fee to get an annual food and drink license. The fee is based on anticipated gross annual food sales and food handling complexity. There is also a one-time pre-inspection fee which covers:
The cost of reviewing plans
- Working with us on:
- Equipment installation
- Proper design and construction of the facility
- On-site evaluation of the facility before issuing the permit.
Call (608) 242-6515 or email us for more information.
How To Get a Food and Drink License
The City of Madison Clerk's office processes all food and drink applications and fees in Madison and Dane County.
- Complete the Food and Drink Licensing Application. For questions, to get help completing this application in another language, or to contact a sanitarian, call Environmental Heath at (608) 242-6515 or email us.
- Look up the Licensing Fees.
- Send your application and payment to the City Clerk's Office. The address is on the application.
- If your establishment is new or remodeled, send a copy of the kitchen plans to:
- Environmental Health Division, 2300 S. Park St. Suite 2010, Madison, WI, 53713
- Or email us
- Schedule a pre-inspection with us:
- Call (608) 242-6515 or email us
- After your application and fee are processed and your pre-inspection is completed, you will get your license.
- If you have questions, call us at (608) 242-6515 or email us
We want to better serve you! Fill out our 2-minute anonymous feedback survey about your health inspection.