Employment & Internships
We work with the community to enhance, protect, and promote the health of the environment and the well-being of all who live in or visit Dane County. We strive to operate with health and racial equity as a core value to make sure health outcomes in Dane County are not determined by race or other group status.
We value the strengths, perspectives, and contributions of a diverse workforce and community. Come join us!
- LTE Dietetic Specialist. (continuous recruitment) The person in this position will provide administrative, clinical, nutrition, and breastfeeding support to the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program. Work includes nutrition screening, counseling and education of low-nutritional risk participants of the WIC Program in compliance with program requirements.
- LTE Compliance Inspection Coordinator. (continuous recruitment) The person in this position works independently and collaboratively with staff from Public Health Madison & Dane County and the Dane County Alliance Against Commercial Tobacco to prevent the illegal sale of tobacco to minors.
- Health Education Coordinator - Bilingual (Spanish). (closes 12/6/2022) The person in this position provides leadership for public health staff and community partners to assess, develop, implement and evaluate health education programs and services to meet community health priorities, based on the community health improvement process. This position creates effective health messages for the community; increases visibility for public health issues and services through effective health communications and social media; and provides leadership for community collaborations by engaging and mobilizing community partners. The Health Education Coordinator develops, implements and evaluates methods to influence social norms for health-related attitudes, knowledge and related behaviors.
- Public Health Specialist - Project. (closes 12/6/2022) The person in this position promotes individual and population health through policy, environmental and systems change initiatives/programs in a variety of settings for the diverse populations represented in Madison and Dane County. Core responsibilities include establishing, strengthening and maintaining community partnerships; developing, implementing, and evaluating programs and public health initiatives, and managing work plans and timelines. Work changes as the initiatives and projects evolve. Implements grant objectives, work plans and responds to priorities set forth by the management team and direct supervisor.
- LTE Environmental Health Specialist. (continuous recruitment) The person in this position performs field investigations and sampling, conducts laboratory testing and analysis, responds to complaints, and executes monitoring and surveillance activities. Assists in the promotion and the accepted principles of environmental health, enforcement of city and county health laws and regulations.
We are committed to helping build tomorrow's public health work force. Periodically we have opportunities for unpaid internships to provide practical experience working in a local public health department.