Pool Licensing & Operator Resources
We license and inspect over 400 public indoor and outdoor swimming pools and water attractions to keep you safe and healthy.
Want to know how your favorite pool handles safety? Look up our health inspection reports below. These reports give you information on the conditions we saw at the time of inspection. Our reports may not reflect actions the establishment made to correct issues, or the current condition of the pool.
Licensing for New Pools and Changes of Ownership
To apply for a license for a new pool or when there is a change of ownership:
- Complete and submit an application and pay fees to the Madison City Clerk's Office. Fees and application must be mailed, or paid in person at the Madison City Clerk's Office.
- Contact a public health sanitarian at (608) 242-6515 or LEadmin@publichealthmdc.com for a pre-inspection before opening to the public.
Licenses are valid each year from July 1 to June 30. Each license we issue expires on June 30. Licenses issued after April 1 will be valid until June 30 of the following year. For example: A license issued on April 1, 2022 will expire on June 30, 2023.
You need to renew your license each year. We will mail a renewal to you. You need to return it with your payment before June 30 of each year.
We want to better serve you! Fill out our 2-minute anonymous feedback survey about your health inspection.
Safety, Maintenance, and Operation of Public Pools and Water Attractions
Chapter ATCP 76 Safety, Maintenance, and Operation of Public Swimming Pools and Water Attractions, Wisconsin Administrative Code
Prerequisites for New Pool Construction
- Before building a new public swimming pool, plans must be approved by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.
- Chapter SPS 390 of Design and Construction of Public Swimming Pools and Water Attractions, Wisconsin Administrative Code
Stay Up to Date on Pool Safety
Get updates and resources about pool safety by signing up for our Pool Facts newsletter.
Resources for Operating Pools
- Pool Disinfection and Breakpoint Chlorination
- VGBA fact sheet
- VGBA log sheet
- DATCP Public Swimming Pools Webpage
Incident Reporting Forms
Courses for Certified Water Attraction Operators
- Aquatic Facility Operator Certification Program, National Recreation and Park Association
- Certified Pool/Spa Operator Certification Program, Pool & Hot Tub Alliance