Finding Health Care Services
Figuring out the health care system can be challenging and getting care can be costly. The resources below can help you get care and connect with lower cost clinics if you have limited income.
Finding a Primary Care Doctor or Clinic
- Your insurance company (HMO) can tell you which doctors are covered and taking new patients. You can also call medical clinics directly.
- If you need help to find clinic locations and phone numbers, you can call United Way 211 (dial 2-1-1).
- If you need an interpreter, tell the clinic when you make your appointment.
- See our list of Free and Lower Cost Clinic Options
Mental Health Services & Medications
- Ask your primary care doctor
- Call your insurance company to find out where to go
- Recovery Dane referral service: (608) 237-1661
- Journey Mental Health Center: 49 Kessel Ct., Madison, WI 53711, Phone: (608) 280-2720
Lower Cost Prescriptions
- Ask your primary care doctor
- St. Vincent's Charitable Pharmacy: 2033 Fish Hatchery Rd., Madison, WI 53713. Call (608) 257-0919 to ask about their hours
- See our Oral Health section.
- Accepts insurance and BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid, and provides lower cost care for those without insurance.
- (608) 443-5480
- Medical and dental clinics in south Madison, east Madison and Sun Prairie
- Urgent care, sports physicals, occupational and immigration health screening, and other care. Does not accept BadgerCare Plus; payment is required at time of service.
- East: 1619 N. Stoughton Rd., Madison, WI 53704 (608) 244-1213
- West: 358 Junction Rd., Madison, WI 53717 (608) 829-1888
- Free walk in services offered by UW School of Medicine and Public Health for those who don’t have insurance or a primary care doctor. No emergency or sexual health concern visits.
- (608) 265-4972
- Several locations including 2202 S. Park St., Madison, WI 53713
- Saturdays, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Provides care to those not eligible for BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid. No contraceptives or STI testing.
- (608) 819-8544
- 6425 Odana Rd., Madison, WI 53719
- Low cost reproductive health care. Accepts BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid.
- (608) 251-6546
- Madison South: 2222 S. Park St., Suite 210, Madison, WI 53713
Public Health Madison & Dane County
Find out more information about our health care services:
- Breast and cervical cancer screening and treatment
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment
- Immunizations for children and adults
- Nursing services for pregnant women
- Breastfeeding support
- Full service Obstetric and Gynecology clinic that serves patients regardless of ability to pay.
- (608) 417-6667
- Health care for residents of the Stoughton School District, ages 18 and up, who are low income and without health insurance. Not for urgent care.
- (608) 205-0505
- 1116 Ridge St., Stoughton, Thursdays 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Children: Primary Access for Kids (PAK) program for Madison students - ask your school nurse
- Older adults and people with disabilities: The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Dane County connects older adults and people with disabilities to the services they need. Call (608) 240-7400.