Pool Licensing & Operator Resources
We license and inspect over 400 public indoor and outdoor swimming pools and water attractions to make sure they comply with state laws and regulations to prevent illness and injury.
Licensing for New and Change of Operators
- Complete and Submit an application and pay fees to the Madison City Clerk's Office. Fees and application must be mailed, or paid in person at the Madison City Clerk's Office.
- Contact a public health sanitarian at (608) 242-6515 for a pre-inspection prior to opening to the public.
Licenses require annual renewal. Notices are mailed to current license holders each spring for renewal by June 30th.
- Chapter ATCP 76 Safety, Maintenance, and Operation of Public Swimming Pools and Water Attractions, Wisconsin Administrative Code
New Pool Construction Requirements
New construction must meet Department of Safety and Professional Services standards:
- Chapter SPS 390 of Design and Construction of Public Swimming Pools and Water Attractions, Wisconsin Administrative Code
Pool Operator Resources
- Chemical Levels, Temperatures and Testing Frequency
- Pool Disinfection and Breakpoint Chlorination
- DATCP Public Swimming Pools Information and Resources
Incident Reporting Forms
- Information for Pool Operators, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Fact sheets on Recreational Waterborne Illness, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- How to Swim Healthy, Centers for Disease Control
- Aquatic Facility Operator Certification Program, National Recreation and Park Association
- Certified Pool/Spa Operator Certification Program, National Swimming Pool Foundation