Here's How to Get Free COVID Tests This Winter
Winter has arrived, and chances are you have either already been sick or know someone who has. A combination of respiratory viruses currently circulating, including the flu, RSV, and COVID, means one thing: lots of germs.
One thing you can do during times like these is make sure you have plenty of COVID tests on hand at home. Keep reading to learn how you can order free tests this winter.
If you do test positive with an at-home test, don’t forget to report your result!
Order tests through the Post Office
The US government is once again offering free home tests for every household, sent directly to your mailbox. This is the fourth round of free tests. Orders are already being shipped out this week. It’s simple to sign up.
- Just head to COVIDTests.gov and click on “Order Free At-Home Tests.”
- There, you’ll fill in some basic information, like your name, email address, and shipping address. Orders usually ship in 7-12 days.
- There’s also an option to order over the phone for people who need additional support or who have difficulty accessing the internet. Call 1-800-232-0233 to get help in English, Spanish, and more than 150 other languages.
- For help troubleshooting problems with your order, check out this At Home COVID-19 Test Kits FAQ .
Order tests through the Department of Health Services
You can also order free at-home rapid tests through the state-supported Say Yes COVID Test program. The program is partially funded through the American Rescue Plan Act.
- Every household is eligible to order one free test kit every month. Every test kit has five rapid COVID tests.
- To order, just head to sayyescovidhometest.org and enter your zip code, to confirm you live in Wisconsin. Then, it only takes a few minutes to fill in some basic information. Once completed, you’ll get a confirmation text, including a link to let you track your order.
- Check out this Say Yes COVID test FAQ if you have more questions.
There are other ways to get free tests
You can get reimbursed by your health insurance provider.
If you have private health insurance, you can be reimbursed for up to eight COVID tests per month. Free tests are also available to Medicare and Medicaid recipients.
Some health plans will let you show your insurance card at your pharmacy or store and get them for free. Others ask you to keep your receipt and fill out a form to get reimbursed. Check with your insurance provider for details.
You can make an appointment or drop by our testing clinic.
The Village on Park Public Health Clinic also offers testing. This clinic is open Tuesday-Saturday from 8am-4pm (closed for lunch from 1-2pm). Both appointments and walk-ins are welcome. Keep in mind:
- If you have no symptoms: You'll receive a free rapid test. You will not be offered a PCR test.
- If you have symptoms: You will be swabbed twice. The first swab will be used in a free rapid test.
- If the rapid test is positive: Your second swab will be thrown away.
- If your rapid test is negative: Your second swab will be used to run a free, confirmatory PCR test.
Note: Check our website for the most up-to-date hours at all clinic locations.