Low-Cost Dental Care Options in Dane County
Clinics and Services
- Phone: (608) 665-2752
- Location: 630 East Washington Ave., Madison
- Patients Accepted: More Smiles Wisconsin serves the low-income population of South Central Wisconsin.
- Preventive and restorative AND emergency dental services.
- BadgerCare/Medicaid insurance accepted and sliding fee pay schedule for eligible uninsured individuals.
- Call the number provided to find out if you are eligible to schedule an appointment.
Access Community Health Centers Dental Services
- Phone: (608) 443-5482
- Patients Accepted: Children and adults who are uninsured (sliding fee scale), insured, or on Medical Assistance/BadgerCare.
- Cleanings, oral hygiene instruction, dental exams, restorative care, dentures, root canals, extractions, sealants, fillings, X-rays.
- Phone: (608) 252-6540; (800) 486-6276
- Location: 600 Williamson St., Suite H, Madison
- Patients Accepted: Serves HIV positive clients only.
- Cleanings, oral hygiene education, fillings, crowns, bridges and dentures.
- Phone: (608) 258-2400
- Location: 1705 Hoffman Street, Room 151, Madison
- Patients Accepted: All students of the college and the general public, adults and children.
- Preventive dental care services provided for a small fee; Medicaid/BadgerCare insurance also accepted.
- Services provided by Dental Hygiene Students and include cleanings, x-rays, fluoride treatments, sealants, and oral hygiene education.
Celebrate Smiles - MOBILE DENTAL Program in Dane County Elementary Schools
- Phone: (608) 852-2781 [Access Community Health Center Program]
- School-based mobile dental program that screens children in grades 4K-5 and provides dental sealants, fluoride varnish, and other treatment as needed.
- No cost for screening and dental treatment if your child has no dental insurance. Celebrate Smiles also accepts Medicaid/BadgerCare and private dental insurance.
- Patients Accepted: Wisconsin residents with limited income due to a permanent disability, chronic illness, or advanced age (65+).
- Eligibility is based on a completed application and phone interview by DDS program coordinator.
- When a patient is accepted into the program, he/she is put on a waiting list until a volunteer participating dentist is available.
- Phone: (608) 244-8050
- Location: 3003 E. Washington Avenue, Madison
- Patients accepted: Children and adults who are uninsured, insured, or on Medical Assistance.
- Preventive and restorative dental care.
Helpful Hints in Finding Dental Care
Here are some ways that have been helpful for others in finding dental care:
1. Find a dentist.
- Call a dental office where you've been before, (tell the receptionist that you have been seen there in the past).
- Look in the phone book and call a dental office near you.
2. Describe the problem you are having with your teeth or gums.
- If you have pain, is it continuous? throbbing? on and off? keeping you awake at night?
- Do you have swelling, infection or drainage?
- How long has it bothered you?
- Is it sensitive to hot, cold or sweet?
3. Try to make an appointment to help with the problem you have right now.
- If you get an appointment DON'T MISS IT!
- Try to arrange for a payment plan. Dental offices are sometimes willing to work with you if you show that you are reliable. Make sure you show up on time.
- Schedule more appointments as you can afford them to get needed work done so you won't have an emergency in the future.
- Offer to be available on short notice or when the office has cancellations.
Questions about Insurance?
If you DON'T have Medical Assistance, BadgerCare or Dental Insurance:
- Figure out a payment plan. Some dental offices are willing to work out payment schedules for reliable clients.
- Ask the dental office about credit services available that can help you finance your needed dental work.
- Check to see if your employer offers a medical savings plan called "flexible spending") that can be used to pay for dental care.
- Start and keep a savings plan to pay for dental care.
If you DO have Medical Assistance or BadgerCare Plus insurance and can't find a dentist who will accept it:
- You can get a list of dental providers in your area who are signed up with the program by calling 800-362-3002 or check online at www.forwardhealth.wi.gov.
- Keep in mind that most dental providers are NOT taking new
patients and there is NO LIST available for those who do.
The Medical Assistance and BadgerCare Plus program is run
by our state government. If you have concerns about this
program, contact your state legislators and let
them know. To find out who your legislators
are, you can call the Legislative Hotline at 800-