Sharing and re-using syringes can transmit disease, such as HIV and hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Needle exchange can prevent this transmission. Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) Needle Exchange provides:
- New syringes and other items to help reduce disease transmission. No questions asked and no names used.
- Disposal of used needles. Please bring your dirty needles.
- HIV antibody testing, hepatitis testing, hepatitis A and B vaccines, condoms, and other health referrals upon request.
Needle exchange is available at the following PHMDC sites:
- East Madison: 2705 East Washington Ave (second floor above Hawthorne Library)
- South Madison: 2300 South Park St Atrium, Suite 2010 (second floor)
- Downtown: 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Room 507 (5th floor of the City-County Building)
Office hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Some evening hours are available at the East Washington office. Call (608) 243-0411 during business hours for more information. PHMDC is not open on weekends.
For more information on harm reduction and safer injecting practices: