Sharing and re-using syringes can transmit disease, such as HIV and hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Needle exchange can prevent this transmission. Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) Needle Exchange provides:
- New syringes and other items to help reduce disease transmission. No questions asked and no names used.
- Disposal of used needles. Please bring your dirty needles.
- HIV antibody testing, hepatitis testing, hepatitis A and B vaccines, condoms, and other health referrals upon request.
Needle exchange is available at the following PHMDC sites:
- East Madison: 2705 East Washington Ave (second floor above Hawthorne Library)
- South Madison: 2300 South Park St Atrium, Suite 2010 (second floor)
- Downtown: 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Room 507 (5th floor of the City-County Building)
Office hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Some evening hours are available at the East Washington office. Call (608) 243-0411 during business hours for more information. PHMDC is not open on weekends.
Injectable Naloxone (also known as Narcan) is available at the East Washington Office during STI clinic hours (Mon 12-3pm, Wed 3-6pm, Fri 9am-12pm).
For more information on harm reduction and safer injecting practices: